- We are pleased to announce that the 2019 Core Facility Management Course will mark the second course organised by the German BioImaging network successor; GerBI-GMB - The Society for Microscopy and Image Analysis.
- The concept of core facilities, central hubs for demanding technical and analytics services, is rapidly changing how science is carried out at many research institutions. Core facility managers, often academically trained scientists, find themselves in a variety of different roles that demand a broad set of skills they traditionally haven’t been taught in their career. Managing budgets, structuring the facility to work most productively, recruiting the right people, negotiating with partners, clients and vendors, dealing with hierarchy and addressing role conflicts are some of the challenges core facility managers typically face. GerB-GMB in collaboration with hfp consulting, a group specialised in supporting scientists to improve their leadership and management skills, have developed an intense, interactive and highly specialised workshop that addresses these challenges.
- Please find an event report about the GerBI Core Facility Management Course for Imaging Specialists 2014 in:
- Imaging & Microscopy (page 12)
In this practical course, designed specifically for core facility managers in the life sciences, you will learn how to:
- balance your different roles
- build a productive team culture
- deal with conflicts constructively
- manage your time better
- delegate tasks more effectively
- deal with different personalities in the team
- position your facility in your organisation strategically
- negotiate more effectively
- hire the right people
- manage your budget
We approach these topics practically. Short theoretical inputs are followed by extensive exercises. Our goal is to increase the impact of the training by immediately applying the concepts we teach in partner exercises, case studies, and simulations during the workshop. The course language is English.
- Monday, 24th June
- Tuesday, 25th June
- 09.00 Start of the workshop
- 18.00 End of day 1
- Wednesday, 26th June
- 09.00 Start of day 2
- 18.00 End of day 2
- Thursday, 27th June
- 09.00 Start of day 3
- 18.00 End of day 3
- Friday, 28th June
- 09.00 Start of day 4
- 12.30-13.00 Wrap-up and farewell
- 13.00-14.00 Lunch
- 14.00 Departure
The workshop will be facilitated by members of the international team of hfp consulting.
Following institutes and organisations work with hfp consulting on a regular basis:
- Ben Gurion University, Beersheba
- EMBO, Heidelberg
- Harvard Medical School, Boston MA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA
- PRBB Intervals Programme, Barcelona
- School of Molecular Medicine, Milan
- SystemsX.ch, Zürich
- Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
- Yale School of Medicine, New Haven CT
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot
The course will take place at the Ganter Hotel Mohren, Konstanz - Island Reichenau in Lake Constance (Germany).
Getting there and away
Konstanz main station is served by several railway lines:
- from Stuttgart via Singen,
- from Zürich by the Swiss Federal Railway, and
- from Offenburg and Baden-Baden crossing the Black Forest.
- Zürich Airport: direct train connection to Konstanz (~1 hour).
- Friedrichshafen Airport: fast ferry service to Konstanz from Friedrichshafen harbour.
Terms and Conditions
This course is meant for scientists working or planning to work in a life science core facility.
is 18th of April 2019. Places are allocated to eligible applicants on a "first come, first served" basis.
For cancellations received two months before the beginning of the course (18 April), fees will be refunded minus 25 € for administrative costs. After this two months rule, no refund will be possible for last minute cancellation or no-show. If cancellation is due to sickness then a medical certificate is required. Cancellations must be sent to the GerBI-GMB office.
Evaluation results of past courses
CTLS Members can apply for a 500 € bursary to attend the course (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Training by hfp consulting instructors
- Four nights accommodation at Ganter Hotel Mohren.
- Breakfast at your hotel daily.
- Lunch and dinner for duration of course.
- Delegate rate for use of hotel conference